Sunday, November 26, 2006

Our glorious country of violence...

In Lexington, South Carolina on Saturday, November 25 a man shot his friend in the chest with a high-powered rifle after losing a $20 bet over the South Carolina - Clemson football game. The shooter, James Quick, 42, was charged with the murder of Richard Johnson, 43, today. Apparently the two friends had been drinking all afternoon and began a heated argument immediately following the end of the game. Quick went out to his car, took his hunting rifle from the trunk of his car and fired a single shot into his friend's chest.

Is this what our world has come to? A so called "friend" shots another "friend" with a rifle over only $20 and a bruised ego. It seems to me that people are increasingly becoming more aggressive in America, and for what seems to be no good reason the majority of the time. I hate to admit this, but just last night I got my ass kicked by three huge guys for no reason at all. That's the honest truth. I was simply having fun, hanging out with a group of my friends at a bar in Los Gatos when a fight broke out on the patio in the back of the bar. I looked just to see if any of my friends were in it and that's when I saw my friend, Adam, being pushed to the ground and kicked repeatedly in the face. I ran down to break up the fight and see what the problem was. I told the guy, who was easily 6'5", to stop hitting my friend, who is literally 5'5", when he decked me without having any reason other than I stopped his fun of stomping a much smaller person than himself. I tried to defend myself but two more of his friends, who by the way also looked like football players judging by their size, started punching me in the face too. Needless to say, I got my ass handed to me by three huge guys for no reason what so ever.

So that's what made me start to think... why are people so stupid? And why is it that the stupidest ones are the biggest and most violent? Maybe they blame others for their flaws or misfortunes... I don't know! But after I read about the man killing his friend over a $20 bet and having been personally beat up I started to think that our country is filled with violence. Why is this? We have all these laws that control gun possession but yet we have the largest death rate by gun fire, but countries like Canada that don't have nearly as strict of gun laws have one of the lowest gun fire death rates. So what makes this country of ours so violent? If you've seen the movie "Bowling for Columbine" then you have a slight grasp on the question I am asking but are probably still just as stumped as myself. The worst part is, I don't think it'll get any better...actually, I'm fairly sure it will only get worse.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lilly Buchwitz said...

Ryan, your blog looks completely out of whack in Firefox. You need to pay attention to the technical details.

3:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home