Monday, November 06, 2006

So I watched the Simpsons episode...

...That I was talking about two posts ago. To be honest, it didn't push the boundaries that I thought it would. I think the hype was more than the episode actually conveyed. It did have the comments I used in the previous post about references to the war in Iraq but it didn't have the resonance that I thought it would. The aliens that were supposed to represent the U.S. in the war but basically all they say is their two lines, "weapons of mass disintergration" and "you said we would be greeted as liberators," and then the short segment of the show ended. To any common viewer of the show that would have easily gone over their head and not had any relevance, I admit that I probably would not have caught on if I didn't already know they were going to say it. So as I see it, The Simpsons still stand on neutral ground when it comes to their views on the war... and I was really looking forward to some bad mouthing political controversy over it but what are you gonna do? Can't win 'em all!

The thing that actually seemed to be more controversial in the Sunday night Fox line up were the shows that followed The Simpsons. American Dad and Family Guy pushed a much more extreme view, which I thought friggin rocked! But I have to say that American Dad went to far with the slander on the gay community, which I'm sure will get them a few phone calls. Here is a small excerpt from the episode, this should give you an idea of what I'm talking about. "So it's ok to alienate gays??" "Yes it is son, gays are the new blacks."

When I heard them say that I was speechless. First off, how the hell did they get past the censors with that and second HOW THE HELL DID THEY GET PAST THE CENSORS WITH THAT!?! I mean, I don't discriminate against people no matter what their skin color or their choices in life, but to hear something that blatantly prejudice shocked the hell out of me. I mean I'm all for joking around for a good laugh but that seriously went too far. I understand that the characters learn their lesson by the end of the episode but they definitely pushed all kinds of boundaries.

Even the Family Guy episode after American Dad pushed the debate of the war in Iraq and the Army in general much more than the The Simpsons episode. They show an Army recruitment presentation at the son, Chris', school where they tell all the kids how cool joining the military is and how much fun you'll have hanging out with girls in bikinis and partying all around the world. Family Guy always knows how to say what's on their mind without having to obviously tell the viewer. The best part is, their points are very accurate. I can't tell you how many Army commercials I see where they show a soldier taking charge, saving the day, seeing the world or just straight out being proud of what they do without actually showing or telling you the true side of the military and war-life. If you missed this episode, I don't know what to tell you...I guess hopefully you'll get another chance to see it they show a re-run.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you refer to something you wrote previously, link to it. Don't make your readers hunt for it, or guess about what you're talking about.

2:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home